California Moms are invited to join a free, closed, confidential expressive arts support group for 8-10 moms (partnered or single). A closed support group is one that does not add new members once the group has started. We ask participants to make their best effort to attend all sessions for the duration of the group. Californian mothers of any age, abilities, beliefs, genders, sexual orientations, immigration statuses, races and ethnicities at all stages of change are welcome.
This is a unique opportunity for participants to anchor themselves within a supportive group of other mothers who can relate to the challenges of staying balanced while juggling multiple roles. Our shared intentions are to:
- discover, honor, and explore the full spectrum of our feelings
- express ourselves authentically through a variety of arts practices (music/sound/voice, drama/play, visual art, literary/poetry/spoken word, movement/dance and more)
- integrate our experiences, insights and discoveries in service of our individual and collective well-being
Topics could include: self-care, co-parenting issues, decreased social interaction and increased loneliness and isolation, working from home, conflict resolution, coping with ongoing loss and associated feelings of sadness, healthy boundaries and communication skills, managing boredom, increased anxiety and more. Please keep in mind, this group provides a venue to process authentically with our allies of support and is not intended to address political topics.
Outside of group sessions, the facilitators will work collaboratively with our licensed clinical supervisor (Steven Tierney, Professor Emeritus of CIIS, LPCC493) and fellow colleagues to gain insight into the facilitators abilities to facilitate group dynamics during weekly group supervision.
The Facilitators: Catherine Scholz, LPC Trainee is an expressive arts therapy intern with lived experiences of divorce and co-parenting who carries extensive counseling and expressive arts experience, both as a facilitator and as a participant. Read more about Catherine.
When? Sundays from 11am-12:30pm
Dates: 4/25, 5/2, (5/9 is Mother’s Day so no meeting), 5/16, and 5/23 = 5 sessions
Questions? Contact Catherine
To register, please fill out this Intake Form
Yours in service,
Catherine Scholz graduate student at the California Institute of Integral Studies
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Will I need to have childcare for this group? In order to co-create a focused environment, you will need to find a way to safely occupy your child/ren during groups.
- Is there anything I need to bring to the group? Just a willingness to listen, explore and share authentically with other moms. Art supplies are not necessary, but if you have them, they may come in handy. At a minimum, you may want to bring a journal and a writing utensil to track your experiences and insights.
- Can I invite my friends? Absolutely. The maximum number of people is 10.
- Is this really free? Yes, it is. Catherine and Lauren are earning clinical hours towards licensure. The only investment you need to make is your time, attention and energy.
- Will the sessions be recorded? No, they are completely confidential.
“Liberation is what happens between people; not against, for or on behalf of others.” – Taiwo Afuape